About the event
The African Fintech Unconference (AFU) brings together innovators, thought leaders, industry regulators, telcos, banks and other established financial players in the emerging fintech sector. The format of the event enables fintech companies to engage in smarter partnerships in a fast-moving industry that is ripe for consolidation.
The African Fintech Unconference was held for the first time in March 2017, and is an event driven by the agenda of African fintech innovators and entrepreneurs. The aim of the event was to promote a deeper awareness within the African fintech ecosystem, and enable dynamic engagement that can lead to innovative partnerships.
The collaborative event is the brainchild of the partners, FIBR and Nomanini. Nomanini first approached the FIBR team in 2016 with an event concept that was designed with the African fintech innovator in mind. FIBR expanded upon that vision by creating a programme that would engender partnerships amongst the different groups of players in the dynamic financial services ecosystem.
Taking a collaborative approach, the format of the event creates a space for open dialogue and dynamic exchange. Following a more fluid programme, after a keynote address and panel discussion, participants self-organise to share and discuss topics most pertinent to them in an unconference style setting.
What is an unconference?
An unconference is an open, participant-driven event. It is designed to enable rapid exchange of information and ideas, provide a space for valuable conversations and promote the development of collaborative relationships. The content is proposed and provided by the participants, and is often led and adjusted by the participants on the day of the event.
Why an unconference?
The aim of African Fintech Unconference is to:
Bring together innovators, thought leaders, industry regulators, telcos and banks in fintech to:
- Create an agenda which emphasises concerns of fintech innovators as well as financial institutions
- Build an industry and forge alliances instead of focusing on beating competitor
- Gather key learnings and information to share with the African fintech and financial services industry
Collectively map the fintech ecosystem based on parties present, highlighting:
- Overlaps in activity
- Potential areas for partnerships
- Underdeveloped areas in the ecosystem
Encourage further innovation, which means:
- Learning from exciting success stories
- Sharing insightful lessons from failures
- Taking an honest appraisal of structural challenges faced by fintech startups
Who is this unconference for?
Fintech innovators, financial institutions, telcos, financial sector authorities (e.g regulators), fintech investors, financial inclusion thought leaders and other industry professionals who want to:
- Learn from and connect to leading financial services and fintech experts in Africa that are driving and shaping the ecosystem.
- Be exposed to new, creative ideas to ensure your business remains relevant in a constantly evolving environment
- Establish and strengthen collaborative networks and innovative partnerships across industries.
- Engage with key financial services and fintech ecosystem peers, experts and influencers
If you're eager to meet and speak to a diverse group of industry professionals as well as learn and share ideas, the African Fintech Unconference is for you.